Posts for tag: Bridges
Are you concerned about cracks, missing teeth or fragile teeth? Crowns and bridges offer a simple way to solve your problem. Dr. Kathleen Geipe, your Salisbury, MD, dentist, explains how these versatile dental restorations can help your smile.
Crowns are an excellent solution to many dental problems in Salisbury
Crowns are hollow, custom-made porcelain shells that completely cover teeth. They may also be made of other strong materials, such as ceramic, resin, gold, nickel alloys or porcelain-fused-to-metal. Crowns are often used for:
- Cracked Teeth: Cracks, even small ones, weaken the structural integrity of teeth. When you have a crack, it's only a matter of time until the tooth will break if you don't do something to stabilize it. Crowns protect and strengthen cracked teeth and prevent them from fracturing.
- Discolored Teeth: One or two discolored teeth can make you feel a little self-conscious about your smile. Since crowns cover your teeth completely, they're a good option if a tooth has been discolored because of a large filling or due to medication side effects.
- Unattractive Teeth: Just one oddly shaped tooth can affect the symmetry of your smile. Whether your tooth is pointed, twisted or pitted, you'll benefit from a dental crown.
- Short Teeth: Your bite may suffer if one tooth is shorter than the others. Adding a crown to the tooth lengthens it and makes chewing easier.
- Teeth Weakened by Dental Treatments: Root canals, large fillings and other dental treatments restore teeth, but also tend to make them weaker. Crowns prevent these fragile teeth from cracking or breaking.
- Broken Teeth: Broken teeth can cut your mouth or tongue, make chewing more difficult and altering your appearance. Crowns restore the full width and height of broken teeth.
Bridges replace missing teeth
Would you like to do something about a missing tooth? Bridges, which consist of one or more artificial teeth anchored by crowns on either side, restore your appearance and your smile. They not only replace your missing tooth, but also prevent nearby teeth from drifting.
Could you benefit from crowns and bridges? Call Dr. Geipe, your Salisbury, MD, dentist, at (410) 543-0599 to schedule an appointment to learn more about your options.