Posts for tag: Fillings
Need a dental filling? You're not alone. Everyone needs a dental filling at some point in their lives. Tooth colored fillings, or cosmetic fillings, are used to restore decayed or broken teeth. Tooth colored fillings offer many advantages over metal fillings. Dr. Kathleen Geipe is one of the finest dentists in Salisbury, MD. She offers a full range of dental services, including tooth colored fillings. Here are five reasons to consider tooth colored fillings.
1. Maintain Tooth Health- Composite is a mixture of resin and glass-like particles that produce a tooth colored filling. Tooth colored fillings work wonderfully for cavities. Most of the tooth structure can be preserved, and the material serves to hold that structure tightly together to prevent further decay and fracture.
2. Pleasing Appearance- Traditional dental fillings are less popular than tooth colored dental fillings because of their silvery appearance. Once your Salisbury dentist completes your tooth colored filling, it will look natural and won’t be noticeable when you speak. After it is bonded to the tooth, the composite resin hardens into a strong material that looks like your tooth.
3. Good Durability- Another benefit of tooth colored dental fillings is that they are incredibly durable. Composite is a strong material, providing good durability in dental restorations. Tooth colored fillings can withstand the forces of chewing. This makes them a reliable, long-term solution for cavities.
4. Avoid Allergens- Some people are allergic to one or more of the metals in amalgam dental fillings. An allergy to amalgam fillings causes reactions that occur near the site of the filling. For patients who are allergic to the metals used in amalgam dental fillings, tooth colored fillings can restore their teeth without risk of an allergic reaction.
5. One Single Visit- Say goodbye to lengthy treatment sessions in the dentist's chair. Your tooth colored dental filling can be completed in just one office visit. The treatment will be completed very quickly and you will leave the same day with your tooth colored dental filling.
Don't wait another minute- Call Dr. Kathleen Geipe at 410-543-0599 now to schedule a dental consultation in Salisbury, MD. Tooth colored fillings have helped millions of people improve their smiles, boosting their confidence and enhancing their lives. And it will do the same for you!
A good part of making sure that you make a good first impression is to have a beautiful smile. Brushing and flossing every day is a good start in keeping your teeth healthy and your smile bright. This doesn’t mean you will have the smile of your dreams forever or that you won’t suffer any tooth damage. For some damaged teeth are still going to be a problem. The first step to getting a great smile is to talk to Dr. Kathleen Geipe, your dentist in Salisbury, MD. There you can learn more about your options and get the attention you need for a beautiful smile.
Cavities can plague your mouth and cause damage both now and in the future. Leaving a cavity untreated will ultimately lead to broken or unsalvageable teeth. Dental fillings can provide you with the strength that you need to fortify your teeth and keep them whole. It is also an important part of treating the tooth so that it will stand less chance of becoming decayed again. When visiting your Salisbury dentist you will likely be given an x-ray so that the dentist can see if the tooth is strong enough to warrant repair. Then they will clean the tooth and put the filling in. The compounds used today are typically well matched to the average tooth color and allow for eating of regular foods and drinks fairly soon after the procedure.
How a Salisbury Dentist Can Help
The process of getting dental fillings can provide your teeth with a better chance to stay whole and avoid future cavities as well as help you get a beautiful smile. Fillings of today are faster to apply and look better than they ever have. Take the time to learn how these fillings can help you get a smile you will be proud of. Call Dr. Kathleen Geipe at (410) 543-0599 to find out how a dentist in Salisbury, MD, can help you.
If you have ever had a cavity, you are probably familiar with dental fillings. Fillings are one of the most popular dental procedures available. But do fillings really benefit your teeth? Find out more about dental fillings with help from your Salisbury, MD dentist.
What are dental fillings?
Dental fillings restore a tooth affected by a cavity to its normal functionality and appearance. When a cavity forms, your dentist removes the decay from the tooth, leaving part of the tooth missing. After cleaning and drying the tooth, composite materials fill the hole left behind.
Do I really need a filling?
Decay begins on the tooth’s outer enamel layer and eats away through the dentin layer until it reaches the tooth’s inner pulp chamber where the nerve lies. Decay which has reached the inner chamber requires a root canal. However, cavities which have not yet reached the inner pulp chamber can usually be repaired using a dental filling, keeping the tooth’s nerve intact. By filling the tooth, your dentist creates a seal, keeping decay-causing bacteria from entering into the tooth and preventing additional decay.
What are my options?
Your dentist fills your cavity using one of several materials. They include:
- Porcelain: These fillings, called inlays or onlays, bond to the tooth. A dental laboratory customizes inlays and onlays specifically for you. These fillings are generally used in cases of larger fillings which are small enough to not require a dental crown.
- Composite resin: Your dentist applies composite resin fillings directly to the tooth after color-matching the material to your natural tooth color. This provides a natural appearance. Composite resin fillings may not be suitable for larger fillings.
- Amalgam: Amalgam fillings are made from silver, durable and more affordable than other options. They are, however, more noticeable than porcelain or composite fillings due to their dark silver color.
- Gold: Gold fillings are long-lasting and effective. Generally considered the best material for fillings, gold is more expensive than other options. A dental laboratory creates gold fillings, requiring multiple visits with several weeks in between.
The best way to determine if a filling is right for you is to consult with your dentist during a regular dental examination and cleaning. For more information on dental fillings, please contact Dr. Kathleen M. Geipe, DDS, PA in Salisbury, MD. Call (410) 543-0599 to speak with an associate about scheduling your appointment.